50 Days At Artpace: Each Day Gets Easier (Week 2)

Week 2

Monday, June 13th

With the start of a new week, I have already become accustomed to being driven to the bus stop by my mother in the morning. Honestly, I know that this privilege could be revoked at any time but, I do appreciate those extra winks that I can manage to get in.

Well, my routine was the same as always in the morning. I did manage to get some Cereal Time in today though so that was nice. And I got driven the bus and waited on it until it came. Normally, I’m very quiet at the bus stop because I find it a bit awkward to talk with those sitting at the bench with me. It’s not that I can’t do it but that it’s hard to keep a good conversation flowing between strangers.

When I got on the bus, I couldn’t help but notice the sky as I stared out the window. The morning sunrise is always so captivating for me. I can’t help but stare at it (but not directly of course!)

Look at it. It’s so beautiful…

But of course, the bus stopped at its usual stop before I knew it and I hopped off. Now on the way to work, I couldn’t help but take some more pictures of the sights around here. Even though I see most of these things every weekday, I felt like I finally had to take a picture!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I was also feeling extremely good walking around so I took a picture of myself too!

Don’t I look like a happy camper?! C’mon. I really do…

When I finally made it to Artpace, I got right to work on finishing my cataloging for that Winter of 1999 binder. I was determined to get it done so that I could move on to the next one. I got into my mode when I put my music on. Once I found out that music was allowed when working as long as it wasn’t distracting, I hopped on the opportunity.

Not too long into the day, I realized that Hyland wasn’t in my office yet. We had been sharing the space to do work but she hadn’t set foot into the room today so I was curious. And then my curiosity was satisfied once Hyland walked in not long thereafter to tell me that they were moving her upstairs so she was next door to Zaneta.

Needless to say, I was a bit saddened by this fact. All of a sudden, I was alone in my office with no one to satisfy my idle boredom except me. They even took the extra computer out of the room so that Hyland had her own. Now, it was just me, myself, and I. Well, I was sad for a moment but then I moved right along and got back to my work. I still had things to do so I had to keep moving.

Close to midday, I finished cataloging the binder and I asked Scott to review my work. Scott came in, quite astounded that I managed to finish the binder so quickly so I think he took a little extra time to look over my work. He ended up telling me that I did a good job, except for one thing. I didn’t make a note of a few items which were the same general thing, but to my own defense, I didn’t know what those things were called.

Well, Scott told me that they were artist brochures and that they were publications. It had been urking me for the past while because I could not recall the name of those types of objects! I also had them listed down as documents rather than publications but I did give these objects the same description since they were all the same type of thing.

Then Scott also told me that I made the same mistake in the Fall of 1999 binder too. That urked me because he could’ve corrected me when I finished that binder so I wouldn’t have to go back and redo some of my old work. But alas, that’s life right?

Well, I went back and fixed all of those incorrect notes and then Scott verified that I had finished them both completely. He told me I did great work, but I still couldn’t get over the fact that he didn’t correct me the first time when he had the chance. But I finished the work and that’s what matters.

Right after finishing that, he introduced me to my new project. He told me that I was going to be in charge of writing up promotional blog posts for the Artpace Alliance members. He said that I was going to need to research the members, interview them for more information and then write up 300-500 word articles for them to be posted to the company website.

The purpose of the project was to promote the members and establish better relationships with them. The members support Artpace and so it’s only fair that we support them. The way the program works is that organizations and businesses local to San Antonio partner with Artpace and two things happen as a result: we give them promotions and they give our patrons and Fresh Art First members discounts/deals at their businesses!

Immediately, I got excited! I thought, “Hey, you’re a natural blogger already! This should be a piece of cake for you!” Honestly, that’s all I could think about because I was just excited to be blogging, only this time I was doing it professionally and not as a hobby. (I was grinning from ear to ear.)

My first order of business was to figure out exactly who our members were. Scott introduced me to the long list of them on the company website. I glanced at them and I hesitated. I could only think about how many of them there were. Scott quickly assured me that this was going to be an on-going project so I would be working on it whenever I had “free time.”

The first thing that Scott made me do was pick out who I would start with. I couldn’t decide, so I chose San Antonio B-Cycle as my very first. They were a biking service and for whatever reason, they just stuck in my head first. I think it might’ve been because as Scott was showing me the list, they were the first one out of his mouth.

Then he wanted to know who my next 4 would be. I wasn’t quire sure so I just picked some people just so he had something from me. In my own head, I knew that I was going to take my time picking out my first 5 but for now, I just said some names so Scott had an answer from me.

Scott informed me that I had the reign with how I wanted to proceed with this project. He said that if I wanted to conduct interviews over the phone, that I could, or if I wanted to do them in-person that I could do that too. No matter how I went about it, as long as it was OK’d by him, I could do it and that made me feel very comfortable.

Scott said he was excited to see what great things I would come up with. I told him that I would surprise him! Honestly, I only said that because I wasn’t sure what I would do myself so it was a bit of a cop-out but whatever. I was excited for myself.

But I didn’t get to work on this project right away. I decided that I would start after I got back from lunch. Just before lunch, I walked out of my office to loiter around the building, sort of as a way to clear my head and loosen my limbs. To my surprise, I ran into Tommy again!

There’s Mr. Tommy Hopkins in the flesh! He’s such an awesome guy!

Seeing him last week at Ramin’s VIP session was surprise enough, but then seeing him again was even more astounding! I saw him at the front desk and I just had to ask him what he was doing back at Artpace. He informed me that he no longer works at Say Si anymore and that instead, he became an associate educator for Artpace.

This didn’t translate right away for me. Only after our short conversation ended did I realize that he was saying that he works for Artpace now. That still made me very excited because that meant that I might see him around more often.

But as quickly as I saw him, he was gone. He did find time to tell me that he had spare photography equipment in his residence and that definitely made me intrigued. He said he would get back to me with more information soon, so I will happily wait until then.

Then, I went back to my office. I spent my spare time just before 1 PM staring out of my office window. It’s very easy for me to get distracted with what’s going on outside of the window because so many things happen. It’s not uncommon for me to see an ambulance pass by, or a pedestrian, or even a food peddler. In fact, I saw one today!

Just another one of those everyday sights… from my office window that is.

Just as quickly as I zoned-out staring at the city streets, I snapped back and it was time for lunch. I usually have lunch in my office now because I get to watch cartoons while I’m eating. I find it very enjoyable to watch Ed, Edd n Eddy because that show never fails to crack me up. I will always have a fondness for that show.

But you know, lunch always goes by so much quicker than I’d like it to. It only takes a blink and suddenly I’m back to work! But what can I do right? I can only enjoy myself the best that I can.

As soon as lunch was over, I started researching B-Cycle. Honestly, it took me a hot second to realize just how mediocre I was a researching. I didn’t really know (as much as I had believed I did) how to condense information for myself. So I just collected everything and then tried dwindling it down from there.

I spent the rest of my day just doing that for B-Cycle and it was kinda boring. I mean, I’ve never thought that research was fun, at all. But, I am good at it so I don’t have much to say otherwise.

I did find San Antonio B-Cycle really interesting though! I mean, they are a biking service that allows “bike-sharing”, which is exactly what it sounds like. It’s secure and works under membership, and then you don’t have to worry about how keeping up with it all day because you’re only meant to use it for short periods of time. Honestly, it’s really cool.

And then just like that, 5 PM was here and it was time for me to go. I packed up my office and was out the door. I walked to my bus stop and waited on the bus as I always do but while I was sitting there, something occurred to me. I realized that Zaneta wasn’t really going to have much of a chance to work with me this week because this new project would keep me busy.

I was somewhat saddened by that but, I’m doing what needs to be done. Besides, it’s not like I’ll never see her again. But this thought was interrupted by the arrival of my bus. I got on and was on my way home. And like usual, I was home before I knew it (because napping on the bus is very easy to do.) I got off the bus at my stop and my 6th day as an intern was over…


3 thoughts on “50 Days At Artpace: Each Day Gets Easier (Week 2)

Interject Your Thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s