50 Days At Artpace: Each Day Gets Easier (Week 2)

Tuesday, June 14th

There was nothing really different about my morning today. It was much like any other day that I wake up for this job. Although, I didn’t have time to watch Cereal Time like I usually do and I’m not sure exactly how long it will be before I can again.

The thing is, my body is starting to get comfortable. I woke up just a little later than usual and I know that when that happens, it only progresses slowly until it catches up with me. It’s happened before but hopefully I keep it in check.

When I got to the bus stop, I just sat down. I glanced out and around as I do so often in life when I’m waiting. Then the bus showed up and I got on. Today however, I couldn’t help but take a picture of this particular gentleman that I see all the time at the bus stop.

I don’t know your name but, keep doing your thing sir.

The reason was because when I show up at the bus stop, he’s there before me. Often times, he’s walking around the small vicinity of the bus stop in circles. And for a long time, I never understood why until I noticed something attached to his shoe. He’s got a step-tracker on it so I’m assuming he’s getting as many of his steps in for the day as he can before going to work. Smart guy.

Well, after that little observation, I just rode the bus out to downtown and enjoyed the ride. I got off the bus and walked the three blocks to work. When I got to work, Ray let me into the building and my office. He’s always got my back like that.

I was a little excited once I got to work because I realized that I had some tea in my lunch bag! I didn’t even know it was in the little pouch on the front but I decided to open it on a whim and there was like 6 packets of tea in there! What made this even better was that I had sugar to go along with it. I had brought some sugar with me last week but I never got to use it because I was dead set on having honey with my tea, which the kitchen area did not have.

I decided that my first cup of tea at Artpace would be a Salted Caramel tea. Now, I had never tried this tea but I figured, why not?

Doesn't it look delectable?
Doesn’t it look delectable? I mean, at least a little right..?

I made myself a cup and then I tried it out. Well, it didn’t really taste like I thought it was going to. I was expecting some kind of candy-like taste but that’s not what I got. It was bitter more than anything else. So, that’s where my handy-dandy sugar came in. I put about two spoonfuls in and it did the trick! I tasted the salt and caramel immediately, although it definitely tasted natural.

Well, regardless, that spot of tea hit the spot because that kept me going for quite some time. I was sipping on that drink for about 45 minutes so that perked me up. I was starting to feel a bit like everyone else around the office who looks forward to the coffee in the morning. I don’t drink coffee (as much as I love its aroma) but I will always settle for tea!

Anyway, I spent that morning doing nothing but research for San Antonio B-Cycle. Honestly, getting into the swing of things was not quite so easy. I really thought I was good at research until I had to do it professionally and all-day every day. But as time led on, I felt more and more comfortable doing it. I learned to condense ideas and pluck out specific and noteworthy information.

I also learned the value of having a system for yourself. You know, something that you can just look at and know right away what it’s referring to or talking about or how important it is. Yeah, I made one really quickly. I needed to because I felt like I was going to drown if I didn’t.

Well, I learned a lot about San Antonio B-Cycle and honestly, the more I researched them, the more excited I was getting for the project to really begin. I was totally in the zone until lunchtime. Honestly, the time just flew by because I had to find out so much information and keep it all as concise as possible.

When lunch rolled around, I grabbed my lunch bag from out of the refrigerator and heated it up. I watched some cartoons on my work computer and closed the door and the blinds. I like to kinda disconnect from the world when I’m on my lunch break. That way I can totally enjoy relaxing for the hour that I have to myself.

I will admit, sometimes I am somewhat nervous to find out what would happen if Scott or someone else walked in and saw me doing this but, I mean, if I am on lunch, can you really say anything? No, not really…

Anyway, after lunch was over, I got right back to work. I did a ton of research on B-Cycle but I felt like I needed a break from then around 3PM so I switched to Alamo Music Center instead. They were next on my list of members to tackle and they would be a nice break from B-Cycle.

I researched them until the end of the day roughly. I didn’t find out a whole lot but they definitely have an interesting history. I mean, they’ve been around for a while, like since the Great Depression in 1929. Crazy, right? So I spent the rest of the day kind of on and off researching and taking unnecessary “detours.” It happens.

But then 5PM came around before I knew it and I was out the door. I strolled down to the bus stop and caught the bus as I usually do. I also took some time to take a nap on the bus because I’m usually pooped out by the end of the day. And when I woke up, I was at my bus stop back near my house.

When I got off the bus, I was surprised to not see Oscar sitting under the tree he’s always under.

I wonder where he went?
I wonder where he went?

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t somewhat sad to not see him. It’s always nice to be able to at least say hi, if nothing else. But that was the end of that, and the end of my 7th day as an intern…

3 thoughts on “50 Days At Artpace: Each Day Gets Easier (Week 2)

Interject Your Thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s